Friday 2 October 2009

Battle Diary - Daemons of Poo!

I've just finished my game I had scheduled tonight against Chris and I thought I would keep a semi-regular Battle Diary thing. Partially because it's a nice entry and partially because I'm not quite ready for bed at the moment!

One of my main weaknesses is that I just don't play enough games and I'm not the sort of person who sits down and picks things up naturally for wargames (although strangely I can do this with computers which is great for work). So a pre new years resolution is to game more. Tonight I decided to try some different units out to see what they can do, as well as just playing some warhammer. The list I took is as follows..

Bloodthirster with 3+ Save, +1S and Flaming Attack with re-roll hits
Tzeentch Herald with Flames and Chariot
Tzeentch Herald with Flames and Chariot
Nurgle Herald
17 Plaguebearers with full command and standard of re-rolling wounds
13 Horrors
13 Horrors
5 Furies
5 Flesh Hounds
5 Flesh Hounds
5 Flamers
1 Fiend

Chris took roughly the following...

Runelord on Anvil with funky runes (dispel scroll and something which adds +2 to dispel)
BSB with Runic Standard of +1 to dispel
Dragon Slayer
10 Thunderers
10 Thunderers
10 Longbeards
10 Warriors
Grudgethrower with Flaming hits
2 Bolt Throwers
Slayers (can't remember how many but 12ish)
Miners
Organ Gun
Gyrocopter

Now I'm not going to go into a turn by turn report but I will highlight some things and my thoughts. Firstly the terrain scattered in such a way (we used the WPS Terrain rules) that one half the board length ways had all the terrain (lots of buildings), while the other half had a hill and swamp. Chris won the roll to pick sides and chose the side with buildings to deny me all the cover. We rolled for who got first turn and I chose to go first.

My basic plan was to shove the Bloodthirster down a flank with lots of cover while the other fast stuff went down the other and they would meet in the middle. So my Thirster goes RRAAAWWWGGHHH! and hurtles down the flank and ends up chasing a Gyrocopter off the board. Turns later he comes back on and is placed in a position to start smashing stuff but expecting to take a couple of wounds from shooting. All the Dwarfen war machines cause a wound but the Thunderers manage to kill him thanks to a Flurry of sixes for Chris and a Flurry of ones for me!

On the other side of the board my fast attack force fares a little better but is all killed. The Fiend is killed by a Bolter and Thunderers, and the Chariots attempt to shoot up some stuff with magic and flames only to be handbaged by a counter charged by Anviled Warriors and later the miners once Chris remembered he had them. The Flesh Hounds end up in the Slayers guarding the Anvil and die eventually due to a long 7 round combat. The rest of my army is picked off by shooting and Anvil counter charges and Chris gets a Massacre!

Lessons Learned are....
  • Daemons do not equal an instant win!
  • I'm starting to think more about my turn and what I want to do rather than randomly doing stuff.
I still need to play more but I do feel I'm doing better than what I would be as I'm looking more at what I'm doing. I just need to learn how to look a couple of turns ahead and I might start winning games. My army needs to be tweaked as I felt it didn't have much synergy, but Dwarfs are a bit oddball to play because they can deflate the magic phase as well as having a strong shooting phase. I'm going to try and play Stevyn next and his Dark Elves or maybe go to the local club and get a game!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Gaz

    Are you going to the Immortal War II event in Sutton Coldfield? I saw you posted an interested on TWF.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mark,

    It's on my to do list but I need to get the all clear if you know what I mean! ;)

    I should be going though as it's round the corner so to speak!

    Gaz

    ReplyDelete